Vivint Authorized Retailer Fort Smith
Smart Security Specialists -- Your Vivint Authorized Dealer Covering Fort Smith, Western Arkanasas, & Eastern Oklahoma

Common causes of residential fires in Fort Smith and how to avoid them

September 25, 2023
Man surprised by smoke pouring out of oven

When you own a home, there are numerous hazards to think about. Fire is at the top of the list, as it can happen in any place and at any moment. The U.S. Fire Administration estimated a stunning $8.9 billion in property damage across the United States as a result of residential fires in 2021. Also during this year, there were in excess of 350,000 reported fires. Thankfully, there are actions you can take to keep them from taking place|. Learn more about the causes and how to prevent house fires in Fort Smith.

What sparks residential fires in Fort Smith?

Fires can start in any location and without warning, whether sparked by a smoldering cigarette in a garbage can or a neglected stovetop. Here are the most common causes of residential fires.

  • Cooking: Flare-ups in the kitchen are the most frequent kinds of residential fires in Fort Smith and all other areas. Neglected stovetops are the primary cause, so always keep an eye on that scorching skillet when making a meal. It’s also worth nothing that throwing water on a grease fire will only worsen the situation.
  • Heating: Space heaters are well known for causing residential fires. Using them for lengthy amounts of time might cause internal parts to wear out and ignite. Frayed cords and putting heaters near combustible items like blankets or window coverings can also lead to disastrous results. Other types of heating, such as fireplaces and furnaces, may cause fires and need to be checked periodically.
  • Electrical: Outdated wiring, faulty outlets, and overwhelmed extension cords are several of the ways electrical complications result in fires. Whenever you discern sparking, flickering lights, or strange odors, get it checked out promptly.
  • Candles: If there's a flame, there's the possibility of fire. Residential fires due to candles are still commonplace and typically result from careless behavior. Placing candles in close proximity to ignitable objects like drapes or keeping them within range of an inquisitive pet will lead to disaster.
  • Smoking: Despite the overall reduction in smoking across the country, it’s still an unquestionable fire hazard. The U.S. Fire Administration approximated that 7,800 residential fires were caused by smoking in 2021. Falling asleep while holding a cigarette or prematurely discarding smoldering ashes can give rise to destructive results.

The most effective way to prevent house fires in Fort Smith is to be diligent at all times. Always keep an eye on things when cooking, don’t ever leave a candle unattended, and get rid of cigarettes properly. If you must run a space heater, do so in short intervals and use one that has an automatic shut-off safety precaution in case it is knocked over.

Safeguard your home with a monitored fire alarm in Fort Smith

You need to have smoke detectors on every floor and consider using more by bedrooms. But you can take your home’s safety to a new level with a monitored fire alarm. These innovative safety devices will not only recognize smoke but can also be tripped due to elevated heat levels. Additionally, since they incorporate into your modern smart home, they’ll alert you and your monitoring professionals whenever an emergency strikes. This is a notable perk, particularly when you’re not there to hear the alarm and phone the fire department.

Defend against known threats with a Vivint smart home in Fort Smith

Enhance the safety of your household today with a Vivint smart home. You may custom design our systems with monitored fire alarms, water sensors, and carbon monoxide detectors. You’ll be appreciative of the instant alerts to your cell phone and the reassurance that you get with professional monitoring. Place a call to (479) 370-4503 to talk with a Vivint representative.